Have you considered donating your securities (i.e. stocks and mutual funds) as an alternative to cash? Appreciated securities – such as stock or mutual funds – can be a smart approach to fund your donations to the Environmental Health Coalition.
Benefits When Donating Appreciated Securities
- When you donate your securities that have appreciated in value, you do not have to pay federal or state tax on the capital gains.
- You deduct the full market value of the securities from your income taxes at the time of the donation.
- You are making a donation that is lower than what you initially paid for your stock.
Important Facts to Remember
- To avoid exposure to capital gain tax, the stock must be transferred to Environmental Health Coalition before the end of the tax year. We then sell the stock from our account.
- You must itemize your tax return in order to deduct a charitable donation.
- **Important** In order to take advantage of this benefit, appreciated securities must be held for over one year.
- Please note that tax laws consistently change, and it is advised to check with your tax advisor. We encourage you to consult your financial planner or tax advisor who can assist you in evaluating the tax advantages available to you when making a donation of appreciated securities.
Environmental Health Coalition prefers and recommends undesignated gifts, allowing for the greatest flexibility in responding to our evolving needs and priorities, but will also accept gifts designated to a specific purpose. Please contact us if you choose to designate your gift.
To transfer your securities, provide the following information to the institution holding your securities you intend to donate:
- Name of Organization: Environmental Health Coalition
- DTC# 0352
- Acct. #: 720-24727
And finally, so we are better able to link the contribution with you – please send an email to our CFO Tony Pettina at firstname.lastname@example.org., with your full name and contact information and name of the stock being gifted. Thank you.
Contact information: If you have questions about making a gift of appreciated securities, contact our CFO, Tony Pettina as 619 773 2124 or email@example.com.
*The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties or liabilities. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation.