Are you looking for a way to make a difference and help EHC further its environmental justice work? Did you know that you can make a charitable contribution to EHC from your IRA? And if you’re 70.5 or older, there are some added tax benefits to making your “Qualified Charitable Distribution” in this way.
Current tax law allows you to fulfill your required minimum distribution (the amount you must withdraw from your IRA each year) without impacting your taxable income. In other words, an IRA charitable rollover is a way you can both help EHC continue its valuable work and at the same time lower your income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals.
Benefits of an IRA Charitable Rollover
- Minimizes your tax obligation at the federal and state level on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization.
- Satisfies your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year.
- Reduces your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions, or may even keep you in a lower tax bracket.
How to Make a Contribution Through Your IRA
- Contact your financial adviser and request that a “Qualified Charitable Distribution” be made directly to Environmental Health Coalition. Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to EHC to help continue our important work.
- Identify your gift with your name, address, and intention to use it as a “Current Year IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution.”
- Use the following information on your request: Environmental Health Coalition, 2727 Hoover Avenue, Suite 202, National City, CA 91950. EIN# 95-3798792.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for the standard annual charitable deduction. You must complete the transaction before December 31 for consideration in tax filings for that year.
If you have any questions about an IRA charitable rollover gift, please contact Maria Moodie at (619) 474-0220 ext. 141 or by email: MariaM@environmentalhealth.org. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.